Monday, March 12, 2012

Transition Week



My last blog post ended with me on my way back to Denver to start our exciting next project! I got my first choice, a split project (meaning two different projects for the round). The first part in San Antonio Texas and then the last two weeks of the round will be spent in Austin Texas!

Before I get into that let me tell you about everything that my team accomplished while working with Faith Communities for Disaster Recovery:

Case Management
204 visits 86 completes 27 full intakes 7 no longer need assistance 2 duplicates found
90 files organized to get construction work plans
45 files of client pics scanned into computer and printed

Construction
0.5 acre brush cleared
1500 sq ft painted w/ two coats
20 windows chaulked on two houses
148 sheets drywall installed and mudded
2 entryway stairs built using 30 boards
15 sheets of plywood installed to floor
4 buckets of roofing tar used
1 door waterproofed with 2 coats
3000 lbs of canned food picked up at food bank and delivered to food pantries
1 water tank removed and 1 installed
1 window installed and 1 door installed
21 boards installed for soffits
804 sq ft house shingled using 38 bundles of shingles
10 widows framed with 14 cedar boards
2 doors trimmed and siding installed around doors
65 braces, 42 boards cut and installed as fascia
30 sheets of siding installed to 804 sq ft house
36 ft drip edge installed to roof
800 ft electrical wire installed in 38 electrical boxes
17 bags of donated jackets picked up, moved, and sorted
100 donated blankets, 3 desks, 1 couch and 1 reclining chair moved and stored
7 houses visited to create construction work plans
20 metal studs and 22 ft of C channels used to frame a metal wall
800 ft sq house mudded
85 boards cut to 31.5 in and 30 boards cut to 81 in (2x4s)
2 sheds organized
2 trash bags of weeds pulled from garden 412 Lantana plants planted
8 racks of clothes organized and 87 lunches served at soup kitchen
230 “backpacks” of food packaged and 1 ton of canned goods sorted and marked
12 foot trailer loaded and unloaded of construction debris 2 times (approx 2500 lbs)
40 ft of fence removed invasive vine
10 lbs of suet prepared for feeding birds for 2 weeks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, the interesting part of this up-coming round is the fact that all of the teams get shuffled allowing us to work with different people. Next round we shuffle back to our permanent teams

My new team consists of 11 people including the team leader (Todd is still my Team Leader)

On our way back to Denver my permanent team stopped to visit the Cadillac Graveyard (Cadillac Ranch)





 

Then we had a really fun week, Transition week, where we were shuffled and were able to spend time with other teams!


My friends are really weird.



 We went down town to a pizza place called the Mellow Mushroom. One of the things that they offer there is gluten free pizza with vegan cheese and gluten free beer!
I can't drink yet, but my friend Ben is allergic to gluten and lactose, so:
Ben had his first beer and it was the first time he has eaten pizza since he was little!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was our first day traveling to San Antonio for third round! 
I now have a camera that I can take video with!

No photos of my new team yet, but this is some of what I'll be dealing with:




and again:


Until Next time!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Some videos from first round! 
(which weren't posted until now because I didn't know how to change the format)

 (Eli doing a Sun Dance so we could help with the prescribed burns)

(Todd my Team Leader helping with the prescribed burn!)

Haley video bombing!


No comments:

Post a Comment